So you have finally decided to try out the low carb diet. Well- ideally, low carb diet is one of the most effective types of weight loss diet that has been proven successful in the past. A low carb diet consists of more intakes of saturated fats and protein and other nutritional foods and reducing the amount of carbohydrates in the low carb diet. Low carb diet has been a popular method of diet among those who are facing obesity problems to those with type 2 diabetes. Low carb diet has improved health and lifestyle of those who has adopted this diet.
However prior to beginning this diet- one should always consult their doctor regarding starting the diet. The doctor analyses past medical records, current lifestyle, and current health issues, etc. The doctor then prescribes the best way to follow the diet.
Some problems one can face with low carb diet are that due to the lack of magnesium- there are occasional muscle cramps. Such problems can be dealt easily by increasing the intake of the water and salt. Or if the problems persist- one can always take some magnesium supplements or add foods which are rich in magnesium- this way magnesium deficiency can be cured. Other problems may occur are increased rate of heart palpitation or lack of energy. These problems if persists should be consulted with the doctor as mentioned earlier.
In an ideal low carb meal plan one should always avoid:
- Sugar food items and also processed food. Artificial sweetener, such as aspartame, sucralose, cyclamates should be avoided if possible.
- Soft drinks and sodas should also be avoided as they are packed with high sugar content.
- Tran’s fat causes build of unhealthy fats especially in the abdomen. So this type of fat should be avoided at all costs.
- Food items such as crackers, dairy products etc should be avoided.
- Low intake of pasta, rice, bread, barley etc. These intakes should be kept in minimum. However, if required- due to certain conditions one can raise the amount- but not increase the amount in extra.
Food items that should be included in the diet:
- Saturated fats
- Oils such as olive oil or cod liver oil.
- Fruits such as apples, strawberry, other types of berries etc. Apple with skin can be consumed as this is another source of fibre. And as in low carb diet-the fibre is reduced due to low carbohydrate, this is one way to tackle constipation.
- Fishes such as salmon or other sea fish.
- Lean meat
- Nuts and other types of seeds because these are healthy alternatives one can have as snacks.
Even if you are following a low carb diet- you can still drink coffee or tea. Without milk or sugar or artificial sweetener is preferred in this case. As mentioned earlier-avoid drinks such as soda or soft drinks which can cause bloating. One can also have green smoothies.